Route to a Miracle

Priscilla - Mineola, Texas

Over the centuries, the word “miracle” has become trite with banal images. Images of the blind receiving their sight, the deaf hearing and even the paralyzed walking. Wait ! Couldn’t a miracle be a specific goal that a person might desire top achieve in life?

68 ! Barely flunking my test, I glanced up into my teacher’s red eyes. “You’re just lazy,” her menacing voice boomed. “If only you would put in a little effort you can make a good grade.” Thereafter, with renewed determination, I studied harder, knowing that I possessed the power to paint the rainbow. October dawned, and soon, final exams were over. With an anticipating heart, I awaited my result. 88 ! I did it. I smiled in glee.

A miracle rarely occurs overnight. “Persistence is to the character of man as carbon is to steel,” said Napoleon Hill, an American speaker and motivational writer. Oftentimes, perseverance is demanded for an achievement. The hoi polloi admire the erudite, assuming this literati group creates wonders by using intellect and money. No. “There are no gains without pains,” Benjamin Franklin said. How many presidents of the United States originated from wealthy families? Few.

As a junior in high school, I did my best at my studies. Taking part in various UIL academic competitions, I also joined the spelling bee. I performed well at district and regional UIL, advancing to state. That accomplishment didn’t emerge over a day. Many sacrifices were made. Television and entertainment became secondary as time flew toward preparing for the contest. My efforts proved fruitful.

In Little Lost Girl, the mother of Delimar Vera never ceases to look for her abducted child. Despite despairing disagreements with her husband, she denied defeat. The result? She toiled until she achieved.

Winston Churchill and his family were kicked put of their house due to debts when he was but a child. His mother passed away. Several times, he ran for different offices, which resulted in failure. Great were his setbacks. But, greater still blazed his strong will and persistence. In the 1940s, he stood as prime minister of Great Britain at the axe of sixty. Was this dream acquired without sweat? No. This dream manifested itself because of his choice of walking the route to a miracle.

Thus, the route to a miracle is not easy to keep nor impossible to follow. Some may be lucky and strike fortunes overnight. However, ipso facto, the majority of us must walk hard paths, paths that lead to the route to a miracle. What exactly is the route to a miracle? It is spelled p-e-r-s-e-v-e-r-a-n-c-e. This, I believe.