I Believe

marisela - mineola, Texas

I Believe

One day you’re happy and then the next, you’re not. You think you know everything; then before you know it, you forget the smallest details. Did you ever come to think, “Who am I?” I’m sure most of us have. I believe no one truly knows who she/he is.

If you really think about it, it’s true. At least, in my case, it is.

One I was following my usual routine like waking up, getting dressed, going to school, and the best part arriving at home. That was the best part until the day I arrived at home, and my mom was there. Of course, she was going to be there; she lived there, but she’d come in early from work, so that’s why it was a surprise.

Entering the house, I called loudly, “hi mami!” In response, a quiet silence. I had been a happy person that day, but if there’s one thing I hate, it is for someone to ignore me. In that quick minute, I felt myself steam with heat and become angry.

Then, I began to realize who I was or who I wasn’t. I usually thought of myself as a friendly, nice happy person. But what happened to me, if I was this friendly, nice, happy person? Why did my body suddenly fill with anger? The answer I was searching for came to me, “I don’t know who I am.”

This is why I believe no one truly knows who she or he is. Everyone is faced with situations like this all the time. The next time some one asks you,”Who are you?” don’t be afraid to answer “I don’t know” because maybe that person feels the same way.