I Will Get My Chance

Stuart - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: golden rule

I believe that I will get my chance. Through many experiences, I have learned that selfishness does not solve problems. Sometimes, you just have to wait your turn.

When I was eight years old, I learned a lesson from a specific experience. One day, I found out that there was an Alabama basketball game, and I was told that I had a good chance of going. The game was the next night, and I was pumped up to go, especially because Alabama was playing LSU. The next day came, and I realized I had basketball practice at the same time as the Alabama game. Our basketball team was great and had already had a lot of practices, so I thought I could skip this one practice and go to the Bama game instead. I really wanted to go to the game.

I was waiting for my dad to get home, because he was the one who would decide if I could go or not. My dad got home, and I really thought that he was going to say that I could go. I asked him if I could go and he said that he would think about it some more. I was so anxious to find out, so I went back upstairs a few minutes later and asked him again if I could go. He was finished thinking about it and he said I couldn’t go. I was very unhappy.

The worst part was my little brother Sam got to go. I was so unhappy and jealous.I went to my basketball practice, and during the whole practice I was thinking about how much fun I could have been having at the Alabama game.

I got picked up with news that Alabama had won a very close game. I was still pretty jealous of my brother. This definitely wasn’t a good experience.

A year later, almost the same exact thing happened, except this time I got to go. It was another Alabama basketball game, and Sam wanted to go. He had to go somewhere and couldn’t go. He REALLY wanted to go.

Through many of my experiences, especially this specific one, I have learned that my turn will come. Time after time, when I’m patient, I am rewarded in some type of way. Always wait patiently, and eventually your time will come.

When someone else gets something I really want, I have learned to be happy for that person. I just have to be patient.