I Believe in Tree Houses

John - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe in tree houses. When I was ten, I was building a tree house. I could never build it so it would withstand my weight. The screws broke every time. When you start something new in life, you might only have one chance, and you screw it up, it’s just like having the screws break; your life might be in jeopardy. You might get nowhere in life. You might never get a job and then you could be miserable.

When I was ten and I was on spring break, I was very bored. There I was, sitting on my couch trying to think of what to do. I could watch T.V. No. I could play outside. No. What to do? I had to do something fun and physical so I wouldn’t become obese during the break. I couldn’t think of anything.

That same day, after all the thought of what to do, I went to my grandparents’ house. My grandfather gave me a book called The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Ilgulden. I looked through the book, and it was extraordinary. I had plenty of things to do now, like building a go-cart, a swing, and a tree house. The thing that interested me the most was the tree house. It was very complicated but looked like fun.

The next day, I took a trip to Home Depot in Trussville and bought a long list of things, including thirty six-inch box-head wood screws, eight eight-inch box-head screws with washers, thirty-two four-inch box-head screws with washers, and 2×6-inch pine planking that was seven feet long. These were a lot of ingredients to make the perfect stew of “tree house”.

When I had the frame finally up, I had a problem. One of the screws broke and I had to take the thing down, which was a bummer. I think I was going to fast on my project. Another might have been that the screws holding the frame up were too small.

For the last three years, I have been waiting to build this tree house again but have not had any time to do so. This summer, I am going to build it and be proud. This time when I build the tree house, I am going to do a good job at it and not let it fall just like your life could if you don’t handle it right.