The Power of Trust

Elizabeth - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe that friends are forever. Friends are a very special gift, and they can help you get through almost anything. Sometimes there will be obstacles that may have a negative impact on your friendship, but if your friend is a true friend, then nothing will stop you from getting closer.

On one school morning I was sitting in the lunchroom because I was early. I was waiting for my friend Aryn, who gets there early too. When she came in the door, she had an anxious look on her face. She ran up to me and said, “I’ve go to show you something!” I began to feel anxious too. Then I saw her pull a folded piece of paper out of her pocket. She handed it to me saying, “Read this, I found it last night.” As I unfolded the piece of paper, I realized that it was an e-mail. The e-mail was between one of my good friends and someone she knew. As I gazed down the paper, I saw my name, and Aryn’s. Then I realized that right in front of my face was my “good friend” gossiping about me. I was crushed; to be called “two-faced” by someone I considered a trustworthy friend was so devastating that I didn’t want to talk to her. I didn’t want to talk to anybody. I looked up at Aryn in disbelief, but on the e-mail, right next to my name was hers. We had both been stabbed in the back by our friend.

Later that day, I decided to confront my friend about the situation. I handed her the e-mail and said, “What’s this?”

“What is what?” she asked.

“Read it.” After she read the e-mail, she looked at me and said, “I didn’t say that about you.” I was so angry! I didn’t believe her story. This went on for months.

During that time, Aryn and I became much closer. The next morning, the girl who wrote the e-mail walked in the door. Without speaking she handed me a folded piece of paper. I was so confused! I opened it, and where I had read my name before there was only Aryn’s name. But which e-mail was true? I turned to Aryn and said “What’s going on?” Without making an excuse, she started to cry and said, “You’re going to be so mad at me!” She didn’t have to finish her sentence; I knew that she had lied for no reason. The other girl and I made up, but Aryn and I were in a fight. I couldn’t trust her. The year was over and we didn’t speak all summer.

The next year I realized how much I missed her. We were friends again! I knew that she was truly sorry and never meant to hurt me. To this day we are still friends and have so much in common. Without friendship, life wouldn’t be fun.