I Believe in Dreaming

Douglas - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: purpose

When parents tell you that you can be anything you want to be, they think they mean it. However, in their minds, you are a picture perfect image of themselves with several slight improvements. In their minds, you are a future lawyer or executive. In my case, the little family diplomat (to Spain I might add). I, however, had and still have very different plans.

I began to really dream when I developed an interest in dinosaurs. I wanted nothing more at the time than to be a paleontologist. It simply popped up out of the blue like my other previous “future job” choices. It followed in a proud line of truly random jobs such as shepherd and train conductor. My parents let me have my three-year-old dreams and scored high points on that, but some children just don’t have parents that let them dream. They are born surgeons or writers, and they never break out of that position. That can be a good thing (some people want nothing more), but others only do what their parents expect of them.

Around the fifth grade, I began to think a little more seriously about my future. Elementary school had gone by fairly quickly, and middle school was right around the corner. There no longer was a large chunk of time before high school, and after that, college. I was really unsure about what I wanted to do. I had long since dropped my dreams of being a paleontologist, and was really unsure about what I wanted to do. It was around this time that I watched the first “Lord of the Rings” movie. This was about five years after my classmates had all watched it, in first grade, but I feel like I gained a lot more from it than they did.

All of this slowly developed into my current passion, film. Through my interest I have created a web show for You Tube, made over twenty movies, experimented with animation and live action filming techniques, and much more. My dream of being a film director may evolve, but I know film is something I can never give up.

My mother had always said I would end up being something creative, but film simply popped up out of the blue. My parents have been very supportive of me, to say the least, and have made many contributions to my movies. They are both my biggest critics and fans and if I win an Oscar they will be the first that I thank.

I may not have been a diplomat, but what I am now is so much more special to me. If you don’t go beyond the expected to start with, then you may not be able to later. It doesn’t necessarily matter if your dreams change with time; just having dreams is the key to happiness. This I believe.