Nobody Should Give Up, Positive Attitude

Brett - Pasadena, California

I believe in a time of trouble, stress, or pressure that people should never give up at what they are doing. To add to that, if anyone wants to succeed in life a positive attitude is a key part.

Sometimes school gets the best of me when I’m working on a project. It might perturb me with an irritating project, but I don’t concede to failure. That is because I believe anyone can get through a problem if they believe in their self and do not give up and give in to the project. I remember I was up to midnight one night in fifth grade doing my country report and working on the pamphlet. I remember my parents telling me to go to bed, but I wouldn’t because I wanted to go to bed knowing that I accomplished and finished my project. I stuck with it and was able to finish it by keeping with it and not giving up.

The same applies to sports− a team can be winning by a lot or losing by a lot. Either way nobody should give up. Both teams should keep their heads up and go to work. All it takes in sports is a “roll of the dice” and your luck can change. I have been on teams that have come back, on teams that lost hope, and on teams that lost it when they had it. In an All-Star game I played, my team was winning eight to four going into the field for the last time. But we got too confident, which brings me to a good point about being too positive, or overly confident. Too much positivity in yourself can be your own poison. For us that was the case. We blew a four run lead in one inning because we were overly confident and gave up in that way. I believe letting up is just another way of giving up in a more disgraceful way in sports, a way that shows that you didn’t have the heart that your opponent did 100% of the time.

One part of baseball where it is crucial to be confident is in batting. Batting is considered one of the hardest things to do in sports, so don’t make it harder on yourself by putting yourself down. I believe a batter should go up to the plate thinking, “This guy is going to be easy to hit.” Sometimes confidence is the difference between getting a hit or striking out in a situation.

Another thing that can be affected by my belief is the stock market. People say we are in an economic depression. I say it’s not Bush’s fault entirely, it’s ours. We gave up on the market. The stock market is a reflection of the people’s hope in it; we lose hope, it drops. If Americans could just realize that there is no problem, the market will go up. Everyday we believe in the market more it goes up. I believe in it, I haven’t given up yet. What is funny, though, is people say they want “Hope” and are going to believe that Obama is going to change the U.S. for the better. Isn’t that why we elected him as President? But all I saw was a dive in the market the day of his inauguration and the day after. He believes in America. Why don’t you, all of a sudden. Please, don’t give up and into the recession. The DOW lost 200 points on a day that was supposed to be the most hopeful day in U.S. history. I haven’t given up yet, I still think we can do it!

Pull yourself together America and start believing we can. What happened to all the people in the U.S. chanting “yes, we can!” Boy, it was annoying, but, we still can’t do well in the Stock Market after all that? We can get through this if we all don’t give up.

Life is a mental game. Yogi Berra said, “Baseball is 99% mental and 1% physical.” That means that almost the whole time, baseball is a game in your head. If you apply that saying in life, you will do much better. You will succeed 99 out of 100 times by thinking you can do it. So, don’t give up and you will do better.

In conclusion, I believe we would better ourselves by believing. Don’t give up, please keep hope and do as the song by Journey says, “Don’t Stop Believin’.” For anything in life, pull yourself together, and as Larry, the Cable Guy says, “Get ‘er done.”