What Radio Helps Me See

Susan - Bath, Maine

I believe that the cells in my brain that see thrive when I imagine in my mind’s eye what I hear when I listen to the radio.

I believe that always being given the picture and the words and the sound at the same time takes away the possibility that I (or you) will see something no one else has ever seen or heard or thought before when they heard that song, that poem, those words.

I believe that there is a child somewhere who heard a piece of music on the radio and that her life was transformed at that moment and she became a different person and was never the same after that because the music showed her something that she loved.

I believe that the possibility of new thinking exists when each of us fills in the missing piece- when we hear the story and watch the character, when the singer sings and we imagine his moving hand, when we hear the explosion and see our own fists clenched in fear.

I believe that the human conscience was not invented by politicians, that no political party holds that copyright and when I hear something on the radio that stirs my conscience, I imagine that all of those listening: red, green, blue and purple, might realize that their political party doesn’t hold the copyright on conscience either.

I believe that having one hundred choices is like having none because we all can only make one choice at a time and being able to choose exactly what we want to hear takes away the possibility of surprise when we hear about a country we’ve never visited or words we agree with from a man who we have never liked and always thought not worthy of listening to.

I believe that not being able to see what we are listening to teachs us that a place that sounds like fiction might be real, a place where we could live, a place where we belong.

I believe that all the missing pieces that my eye fills in when I cannot see what I hear, like it does, when I listen to the radio, belong to me, just like yours belong to you and nobody can take that away from me (or you) and no high-tech, perfectly-matched-to-my-preferences , crystal-clear picture with sound attached should ever take away our radios and what they help us see that we have never seen before.

This I believe.