It Just Isn’t Right

Stephanie - Lenexa, Kansas

About a week ago, my friend and I went to a concert down at the Sprint Center with our moms. We were driving a tall conversion van into the parking garage, when we realized that the clearance was only 8 feet high. My friend asked the parking garage attendant if it looked like we were going to make it. The extremely rude lady said she did not know and that we needed to move because we had a line of cars behind us. This parking garage was the closest to the Sprint Center, and it was the one that we needed to park in. Why did we need a close parking spot? Because my friend’s mom is handicapped and will be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

As I was sitting in the back seat looking at the very unhelpful lady, I thought to myself “wow”. How could someone be so rude and not willing to help a person who needed a special parking space? We decided that the van would not make the 8 foot clearance, so we had to try and find another spot. The only problem was there were absolutely no other handicapped parking spaces available. We had to park somewhere, so we went to another open parking lot that was further away from the Sprint Center. When we arrived at the lot, my friend told the lady we needed two parking spaces so we could unload and load the wheelchair. The lady said “you will have to pay for two spots”. One spot was fifteen dollars, two spots would be thirty. Since everyone in the van was so fed up with driving around, we decided to pay the thirty dollars.

As we made the long haul into the Sprint Center, I could not stop thinking about what had just happened. My friend’s mom who had been in a terrible car accident and is halfway paralyzed just paid double the amount of money to park. She also had to ride down and up a huge hill. All of this seemed very unrealistic and upsetting to me. No person should ever be treated with disrespect. But the true problem here was that my friend’s mom should have been treated with more respect then anyone, and the people at the Sprint Center should have gone out of their way to accommodate her. This is why I believe that people with disabilities should be treated with the utmost respect, and that their needs should take priority. It broke my heart to see someone with a disability treated so poorly. I believe that there should be some sort of rule put into place so that the disabled do not have to worry about the long haul into a concert, or pay extra for two parking spaces. I believe that the disabled people in this world should be taken care of first.