One Little White Lie

Gia - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: children

I believe in lying to your children. I love lies. Sometimes they can make all the difference, and in my case, they made me a happier person.

As a little kid, I lived in an atmosphere that let imagination grow. I believed that I could be a racecar driver and that I could rule the world. Every day, I wore some kind of Pokémon t-shirt and my ballerina tutu to play “Hot Wheels.” I was living a great and creative life.

I was sure that Santa was real. I believed that, in the North Pole, there were elves and reindeer and a big ole chubby man who gave me presents on Christmas Day each year. I always made cookies and milk for Santa and left carrots for his reindeer. One year, I got my own elf. When I was eight, I was introduced to Gizmo. Gizmo was a toy inventor that loved sweets and made sure that I was tucked in every night. I got letters from him saying that he loved me, and I believed it.

When I was ten, I was teased because I believed in Santa. I trusted that he was real. I had my elf with me every day in the car, and whenever I went to volleyball, he was there in the stands with my mom. One night, I wrote a letter on my new stationery. I remember decorating it with candy cane, Christmas tree, and cookie drawings. I highlighted, circled, and did everything I could to make it special. I left the letter inside Gizmo’s hand right before I went to bed, and my mother checked to make sure it was there.

The next morning, I woke up and ran downstairs to find my mother reading my letter and typing a response back on the computer. My heart started pounding and I ran upstairs. I was crying and my tears were pouring onto my bed. Right then, I realized something: believing in Santa may have been a lie, but it made me happy. It gave me something to believe in. I will never forget how great it made me feel to come running down the stairs, finding that Gizmo left me a letter and that he had made a cake the night before when I was asleep. The point is, my experience made me happier. I will never forge the good times I had. And I still believe in little white lies.