My First Play Set

Mary - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe that bad things can turn out well. When you order an ice cream cone but get a sundae, you are disappointed. But sometimes a sundae can be better than a plain cone. Sundaes have more ice cream, plus you get toppings along with it. In other words, you might not get what you want, but things can be better yet.

When I was about two, my family moved into a new house. It is rather large, with so much land. We even have a swimming pool in our back yard. Yet, there was still something missing. But that was soon to change.

My family and I all wanted to put something in our front yard so that everyone could play. My mom and dad narrowed the choices down for us: we had a trampoline and a swing set to choose from. As always, everybody wanted something different, but we all wanted something

to play on.

Everybody loved the idea of having a trampoline and bouncing on it all day long. Although, the play set sounded good as well. The play set had three swings, monkey bars, a slide and a ‘crow’s nest’, so that we could get to the slide and to the top of the monkey bars. Some of us wanted the trampoline, and others wanted the play set. It was mostly the girls that wanted the trampoline, so we could practice gymnastics, but it was our parents who would make the final decision. They just needed a little help from us.

One day, my dad and mom had huge boxes placed in our front yard. We didn’t know what they had inside of them. My parents were putting together a lot of wood. Then there were some chains. Next, they pulled out three yellow pieces, about three feet long. They also took out about ten round, green rods.

Everybody was sitting outside on the bench by our house when my dad took another long yet skinny box out of the tailgate of his truck. We were all surprised. We were also very anxious. The younger kids, like me, didn’t know what they were building. When my dad took the box out of the truck, he and my mom pulled something out. It was big, yellow, and wavy. It was a slide! We knew that it must be the play set. We were so happy. We were also excited once we got to play on it.

Although I never got the trampoline that I wanted, it was still okay. I still play on the play set. I have a lot of fun, too. Whenever you get a sundae when you wanted an ice cream cone, you’re sad at first, but it’s still good. This I believe.