Honesty is the Best Policy

Drew - Homewood, Alabama
Themes: integrity

I believe that honesty is the best policy. When most people hear the word “honest” they think of not lying. However, I think of fairness and straightforwardness of conduct. I think everyone should be honest.

In 2002, I was six years old. My friend Michael and I were in Books-a-Million. We went there to get books, of course. His mom liked to read, so she was eager to take us. We were goofing off and just having fun.

Michael’s mom told us to go look for books in the kids’ section. Michael and I hated reading because we thought it was very boring. I had probably only read one book in my whole life. We looked for books that were on our reading level. We could not find any, so we started walking around the bookstore. We were both Auburn fans, so we were looking for sports books. We found one and it was gigantic! It had 700+ pages. So, we started reading it and it was interesting. Auburn’s famous football game, “Punt, Bama, Punt” was in it. This was an Auburn vs. Alabama game. Auburn was losing and Alabama was punting. Auburn blocked it. Auburn took it down the field and scored. It gave Auburn the win. Auburn blocked it three times in that game.

After a while, Michael got bored and started walking around again. Of course, we did not have any money because we were only six. We walked by the Pokeman cards that both of us

collected. We loved to trade them with our friends. We really wanted those cards. The only problem was that Michael’s mom would not buy them for us. So, Michael and I talked about taking a pack. We just could not do it. We decided we needed to ask her again, and she finally gave in. We opened our packs and hated the cards we got, so we crumpled one of the cards up and told his mom it was like that when we opened the pack. She hardly believed us, but she told the manager and we got a whole new deck of cards.

When we left Books-a-Million, Michael’s mom still did not believe us. When we were in the car, she turned to us and said, “Did you crumple that Pokeman card up?” We said, “No ma’am.” She gave us a look and said, “Tell me the truth guys.” So, we finally confessed. She immediately turned that car around and made us take the cards back to the manager. It was so embarrassing! She told us she was very disappointed in us.

We left the store. She took me home and I got in big trouble with my parents. I learned that it is better to be honest and not get in trouble than to be dishonest and get caught. This I believe!