Endless Imagnination

Caitlin - Los Gatos, California

Endless Imagination

I believe in the furthest unexplored reaches of our imagination. I believe in our ability to stretch our minds to advance creatively, technologically, innovatively, and academically. I believe in great ideas, and I believe in our capability to develop those great ideas into realistic tangible things.

This belief stems from my childhood weekly visits to the local public library. Ever since I knew how, I loved to read. My mom would take me to the library, where I could wander the dusty stacks that smelled like the endless books that filled them. The best part was that I was always allowed check out as many books as I wanted. The thing I remember most about why I loved reading so many books was the freedom to imagine the story in any way that I wanted. I was never a child who needed pictures to enjoy a story—in that way I was free to paint my own picture in my mind. When I think about that now, I realize that there was never a fear of running out of new ways to mentally illustrate a book without pictures.

My ability to use my mind’s eye while I read new books each week is only using imagination on a very small scale. If we can imagine what a character looks like without any physical description, then what else can we do? We have the capacity to build something as necessary and as simple as the wheel and build a space shuttle that goes to Mars, and so we can gain the ability to understand and fix the global warming phenomenon or just simply create a more efficient way of washing a car.

The concept of imagination is so broad; it is difficult to specify a definition. Essentially, it is envisioning a mental image or concept that has never before been realized. We can catalogue and organize every piece of information, every fact available to us to this day, but there is no way that we could ever know what is in the untapped, unlimited resource that is imagination. The perpetual mystery of this space is where the strength of imagination comes from.

Albert Einstein said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” We only know so much, and that can only take us so far. With imagination, the possibilities are endless. Every invention, innovation or advancement in technology is due to someone’s imagination. From the invention of the wheel to the most sophisticated technological abilities we have today, neither would exist without the ability to stretch our ideas to where they have never been before. Although we learn facts, learn how to do equations and obtain knowledge, our real intelligence comes from the power of imagination.

I believe that the parameters of our imaginations are endless, and although the far reaches are darkest, I believe that they will eventually be illuminated. And while I think that there will always be unknown areas of the space that is our imagination, I believe that we will continue to push and stretch our minds toward what has never been imagined.