All Around the World

Torrey - Littleton, Colorado

I believe that there is love in the world for everyone. No matter how insecure, no matter how upset I have been, there has always been someone there for me. When I fell off my bike and scraped up my palms, my parents were there to bandage them up. And when I’ve been called an “epic failure”, my friends have always been there to contradict it and boost my confidence. The people who are dear to me have helped find the happiness in my life.

When I was younger, I lived in the world of make-believe and tea parties. Some of my oldest memories are of donning a tutu or crab walking down the linoleum halls of my ancient preschool with my friends. I even overcame my shyness after a few days of sifting through the sand during recess at my new Kindergarten to introduce. My family was always there to humor my tea parties and play with me how I demanded. My childhood was defined by the people who cared for me.

However, there was one girl who hardly had any friends. Kids always made fun of her for her hair, her height and her voice. Every time I heard the cruel things said about her, my stomach would quiver as I was overwhelmed with guilt. I wondered if there really was any love in the world for people like her.

Rubbing my sweaty palms together, I slit the blue envelope open. Eyeing up the address, I pondered how the contents would affect my popularity. I unfolded the colorful invitation, with its crazy lettering and confetti dotting the page. Initially I had no wish to go to the party, with my own insecurities getting the better of me. I recruited my best friend to come with me so would not be alone. Everyone actually had a great time playing video games and bowling. At the end, when we were eating the cake covered in promises of a new year, my dad struck up a conversation with her parents. Later on our way home in the dark car, he told me of their discussion. Her father, in particular, was very concerned about her future and where she would go to college. He said that “she would not thrive at a school like Stanford (where her brother went)”, but rather hoped to see her go to a school with a strong supportive community. It was a new side of her life that I had never realized: her family loved her and cared deeply about her well-being.

Love and caring have always been integral parts of my life. I have watched the same in the lives around me. Like the girl, even my uncle, who has not had a girlfriend in decades, has the loving support of my grandfather. I believe that even the criminals, the beggars, the supposedly ‘un-wanted’ people of world have those who love and care for them.