Daniel - Golden, Colorado
Themes: nature

I believe in sitting in the sun. There is something about the simple pleasure of just sitting out in the sun. Some days it is all I want to do. Nature seems to be one place where I can always be at peace. There is no feeling like grass grazing against the spaces between your fingers as the shade of a willow criss-crosses over your face allowing you to see the clouds roam across the sky. Some days it makes me feel closer to G-d and some days it just makes me smile.

When you’re out in the sun all of your work vanishes and your problems seem to fly away on the bird’s wings above you. Sitting in the sun has a way to make you think about your life. As the sun begins to heat your skin, your mind starts to wander aimlessly until it finally comes to a stopping point on something important in your life. Not the test you have tomorrow or the fact that you have no money or something stupid like that, but you begin to think about your friends, family and the surrounding nature. Just a week ago, my friend and I sat on the top of my car listening to country music. We sat there for about an hour, we saw the sun fall behind the mountains, and almost every student walk to their car. It was at this point when I discovered something about myself.

Sitting out in the sun is something I believe in but only because it opens more doors for me to realize what I truly believe in. As I sat on my old Subaru Legacy and all of my friends said hey and then filed to their cars to go home, I realized how much I value my surroundings. One of the hardest things for me to do will be to leave my friends and family when I go to college. The first part of my life is coming to an end and I must treasure the final moments of it.

I believe in sitting out in the sun but what I really believe in is discovering more about yourself. Just try sitting in nature for a little while. For me, it is like meditating. I close my eyes and my thoughts go away. The only thing in my mind is the rhythm of the insects singing a duet with the wind through the trees. Try it. Trust me you will find something: important things in your life, a new appreciation for nature, G-d, or maybe you will just smile.