This I Believe in Hard Work

Spencer - Evergreen, Colorado
Themes: work

I have always believed that working hard is necessary in having a successful life. As I have lived through the years, I have looked at those who work hard around me and I see them as successful people whom have nice things and live fulfilled lives. I see this both in my own family and in those around me. At the same time, I have found that everyone should also limit the amount of time that they spend doing their job, but for the most part, working hard is the most important thing that someone can do in their life. I think that anyone can achieve success and will even be rewarded for it. I believe in hard work because only by staying dedicated to what I am doing and not quitting will I be able to live the life that I want to live.

Since the day I was born, I’ve been raised in a family of people that are dedicated to what they do. In my early years, my mom took care of three children at the same time while my dad spent five days a week at his job with very few vacation days. The hard work of my parents helped me specifically because everything that they did was for my brothers and I. My dad went to his job five days a week so that my brothers and I could go to CA and live in the house that we do today, and my mom spent every moment of her life ensuring that we all stayed healthy and had everything that we needed all the time. As the years have gone on, my family has continued to be rewarded for our work. We have sailed the seas, hiked great mountains, and been to some of the most exclusive places in the world. Vacations to Greece, the Galapagos, and Spain come to mind of the top of my head along with many others. Because my mom spent her time caring for my brothers and I while my dad spent the majority of his time at his job, I have lived a rewarding life.

At the same time that my parents spent caring for me I have tried to work hard as well. Whilst drudging through days upon days of school over the years, I have sometimes felt like giving up on my education but every time, I look at what the dedication of my parents has brought me and I have tried and stay on task in school. Back in Kindergarten, I made sure to ace my ABC’s test and I did my best to memorize my notes on the xylophone for the school play. And now, I spend countless hours in front of my computer fighting the constant mental battle of whether I should open Microsoft Word and make an attempt at productivity or succumb to the siren call of the Internet Explorer icon where Facebook will consume the rest of my night. On most nights, I remain dedicated enough to win this battle and I have received acceptable grades because of this. In a few months my hard work will hopefully lead me to college and on from there to a well paying job like the one of my dad which comfortably supports our family of five. I think that as long as I don’t give up and can get through the daily grind without taking too much time off, I will one day be successful like my parents.

Although I believe that it is important to not give up and remain spending time on the task at hand, I believe that there is a limit to the amount of work somebody should do. In my own life, I have had countless school nights where I get home later than 9 before I have eaten, showered, or even began to think about homework of any sort. I have to force myself and fight against all odds to do my homework. On occasion I have had to unplug my TV, turn off the wireless on my laptop, and I have even gone as far as to take the battery out of my phone in order to get my homework done. Sometimes these homework marathon nights where I am up until one in the morning are a necessary part of my life, but when they go on for more than a couple of days I believe there is a limit where I have to take a break from school. I believe that although not doing homework one night can be a catastrophic failure the next day, one night worth of missed assignments can be easily fixed the next day.

I believe in hard work because only through dedication and determination to whatever a person is working on can a person live a successful life. I know from the personal experience of boy my family and myself that if I don’t continue to work as hard my life will not be as good as it is now. Sometimes a break or vacation is necessary as long as it doesn’t become an everyday occurrence. I believe that as long as I work hard like I have seen successful people do around me, I will live a rewarding and luxurious life.