Sleep

Connor - Denver
Themes: freedom

I believe in the power of sleep. I know that sleep has relaxing, healing powers. I have frequently had sicknesses, headaches, and pains due to the constant motion and perpetual work of today’s world. I have sucked down bottles of Advil, and still feel the aches and pains of the day. The only remedy that I have found to work every time is sleep.

To pull the covers up around my head, feel the warmth and comfort of a moment of solitude, and the peacefulness of forgetting all of my problems for just a little while has unmatched satisfaction. The world becomes hazy right before I sleep. I forget about how my teacher, with his pompous aura and bursting veins had a “chat” with me regarding my attention level in class. I can’t pay attention if I’m tired I argue.

The routine I go through every day fades away as I rest your head on your pillow. My tired eyes close and you jab your hands into the cool side of the pillow. Smiling softly, I relax. My problems disappear. I’m a magician, and I’ve performed this magic trick everyday for almost eighteen years. Works every time.

As I look up at the Royal Flag of Scotland on my ceiling, my eyes begin to roll back into my head, only my imagination surrounds me. The ceiling becomes a sunset, the blackened tarp of the night sky, or the heights of an enormous castle. Instead of sheets, I’m gripping the cork of a fishing rod as I wade across a river in Montana, hoping to make the biggest catch. This isn’t work. There is no teacher. This isn’t tiring or repetitive. This isn’t work. But, this isn’t reality.

The worst part of sleeping is waking in the morning. The stinging sunshine that seems to pierce my retina no matter where I look brings back all of the problems, all of the work, all of the veins, all of the repetition. Instead of fishing in Montana I am lying in bed, awake, and longing for just ten more minutes with that river, with that rod, with that weight lifted off of my tired shoulders. Just ten more minutes please!

We all wake up in the end. Get out of bed. Not because we think it’s right, or that we have to. Society doesn’t matter at that point. We just believe that one day the rays of sun will actually brighten our day, not weigh it down, and as we wake from our sleep-full respite, we will be filled with joy.