More Than a Teacher

Christine - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe that people can really have an impact. Mrs. Monica Barnett-Smith is a perfect example of this in my life. She is one of the most motivating and encouraging people that I have ever met. Mrs. Monica is my ballet teacher, but she means much more to me than that.

On one fall evening, I was in one of my ballet classes. We were working on pirouettes in our Pointe shoes (some people may call them toe-shoes). A pirouette is when you turn on one leg multiple times with your other leg beside your knee, in “posse”. As I was practicing my pirouettes, Mrs. Monica suddenly asked me to perform a double pirouette. I was scared at first, because sometimes it can be scary when you do a pirouette on your toes. Mrs. Monica told me that I was capable of it, and sure enough I did the double pirouette on my Pointe shoes! I was so excited and felt so accomplished. Still, Mrs. Monica wasn’t satisfied with a mere double. She wanted me to do a triple! I was so afraid! I just got finished doing a double, and now she wanted a triple out of me!

Mrs. Monica quieted the class so everyone was focused on me. I felt almost frozen to the floor. How could I possible do a triple pirouette? I went into preparation, and then I whipped my head around once…twice…and finally three times! Everyone started clapping and cheering for me. I felt on top of the world. Now that I had gotten over the challenge of doing a triple on Pointe, I felt like I could overcome anything. I was so thankful for Mrs. Monica for believing in me and not letting me give up, even though I had wanted to.

Mrs. Monica is a very special person in my life. She has taught me so many more things besides how to dance. She has taught me about nutrition and how to eat. She has taught me how to overcome obstacles. She has taught me many morals, including perseverance, integrity, and dedication. She is by far the most influential person in my life.