Davis - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe in Perseverance. In order to achieve anything, perseverance is very important. You should never give up, especially when times get tough. Perseverance is an important element in anyone’s life, and it has been in mine.

Several weeks ago, I went on a twenty-mile hike. I was up at four in the morning getting ready to go. My dad and I pulled up to Trinity United Methodist Church and the bus was ready to go. The breakfast was supposed to get there at about 4:15. It never showed, so we had to get it from McDonalds. Then something terrible happened, they couldn’t make sausage biscuits! They had to make egg, ham, and cheese biscuits. I could barely eat without throwing it back up. It was, by far, the worst breakfast I ever had but had to eat to get energy for the hike.

The bus pulled up to the trailhead parking lot at about six. Because of the food delay, we were about an hour behind. We finally got on the trail at about 6:15, with a huge hill to hike up. The biscuit from McDonalds gave me the energy boost I needed to get up the hill, but when I got to the top, I was very tired. We hiked along a ridge for the next few minutes until we got to another massive hill. The biscuit was starting to make me feel sick and I had to stop a few times. Shortly thereafter I had to take the lead of the group we were in. Taking the lead makes you work harder because you can feel the push of the people behind you.

We got to the first rest stop at seven miles through the hike. We stocked up on food so we could make it up the next hill. We got back on the trail and I set a good pace. I had an energy boost from eating so much and made it to the top first. After that, I got very tired and nauseous. My energy had worn off. We hiked along the ridge until the next stop.

Little did we know, we were on the wrong trail. We ended up back at the same rest stop from before. We decided to backtrack again and get on a different trail. When the hike was over, I realized I had done something most people would never get to do.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done. This hike took a large amount of perseverance and endurance. In the end, I look back and wonder how I did it. Perseverance takes place in things other than a twenty- mile hike. It could take place in a death-threatening situation, or in every day life. But, when you get into a hard situation, perseverance will help you.