Love of Yelling

Andrew - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: family, love, setbacks

I believe that being yelled at is a good thing. When people yell at you, especially your family, it is proof of their love. When people yell, it shows that they care for you. People who don’t yell don’t have enough concern to give you their time.

I learned this lesson when I was ten years old.

In 2005, my family traveled to Washington, D.C. for Spring Break. We had a fast-paced itinerary that included all the Smithsonian Museums and many other historical spots. Our vacation progressed smoothly, until our fateful excursion to the Smithsonian Museum of Art. Inside the gigantic rooms of the building, my family decided to split up to see more of the museum in less time. My father and older brother broke off to explore. My mother, younger brother, and I went into the Renaissance Arts Room to inspect the paintings and sculptures.

I decided to run upstairs to find my dad and brother. “Mom, I’m going to run upstairs to check for Dad,” I called as I raced up the winding staircase. Unbeknownst to me, my mother hadn’t heard me. She spent the next two hours searching frantically for me. None of us realized that there was no P.A. or security system designed to locate lost children. Furthermore, we had not arranged any fallback plan in case we were separated.

When we finally reunited, my mother was so upset that she furiously yelled at me. We got into a taxi and returned to the hotel. I felt very angry and upset because I didn’t feel like I had done anything wrong. This episode had an impact on the rest of our vacation, because my mother continued to be anxious that we would become separated again.

This event has continued to affect me in many ways. Now, I am always very careful to stay with my family and in fact have become obsessed with safety. My parents don’t have to worry about my younger brother John because I keep track of him at all times. As I think back on that one rather low point in my life, I realize that my mother and father had been so frightened because they love me so much. Their love was exhibited as yelling. Sometimes strong emotions reflect powerful love. I will always know that I am loved.