Dalton - mineola, Texas

If you fall right on your face, just get right back up. I believe in never giving up.

It’s a hot summer day. Sweat beads roll down my forehead, keeping me cool. I know I can do this. My heart is racing, leaving me fearless. I place my white, crisp Nikes on the black plastic pieces below me. I’m off. I lose my breath. It feels like a boa is constricting my lungs. Then, the serpent leaves. ”I’m doing it. I’m doing it!” BAM! My face smashes against the concrete. The Bike flips on top of me. Ahhhh! The pain is excruciating. My face is tattered and torn. I lay there screaming until my Grandma flies outside. She swoops over me, lifts me with her wings, and everything is okay again…Not!

As my face heals over the next few days, my mind does not. I could not stop thing of my bike. It defeated me. I can’t let this happen. As Grandma dozes off, for an early morning nap, I slip off the covers and escape to the yard. “My face is healing, but it still hurts, I think to myself as I run into the hanging flower pot. I double take yet run to my opponent folded in the yard. I pick up my oppressor and lead it to the sidewalk. I keep my head high and mount up. I am calm. My heart rate is controlled. My dirt stained Nikes push the pedals. I’m alive! I float across the sidewalk, and my body is free. As I make it to the end of the block, I turn my bike around for one more test run. Success! I have achieved the great! I’ve torn off my shackles! I place the bike back in the yard and sneak inside. I crawl back in under the covers. Smiling.

If I never would have gotten up off that couch and conquered my face destroyer. I would have stayed defeated. That would have been the worst feeling in the world. I believe in never giving up not just while riding a bike but in every situation.