A Beautiful Mess

Kelly - Mineola, Texas

As the youngest child in my family I’ve always looked up to my big sister. She was the rebel, the singer, the C+ student. She was a beautiful mess. Her dark brown hair was longer than Barbie’s, smelled like Pantene, and flowed down her back like silk. I wanted to be her but as I got older, the imperfections she had opened my eyes to new learning.

At 14, she got her first real boyfriend. He was a skater kid, a few years older and coasting through life on his roller blades, of course my parents didn’t approve. I was 11. Observant, quiet, and curious, I watched them together. Dumb fights over minute things, sneaking out at 2am, tears, hurt, phone calls, love, and then hate, betrayal. Is this really how a relationship should be?

Not to say I haven’t made my own fair share of mistakes, been with the wrong guy, or put myself first, but by watching my sister’s actions and the punishments my parents gave I quickly learned where the line was drawn between right and wrong by Mom and Dad.

Today, my relationships with people are something I value and treasure most. Not only with my boyfriend of 3 and ½ years, but also with my best friend, Cay, my parents, my grandparents, my peers, and most importantly with my sister. Without noticing, she has become one of the most influential people in my life. She’s shown me all I need to know about keeping good relationships with those I care for. I trust, I can be trusted, I love, and I am being loved. I still find myself watching others around me and will for the rest of my life. I believe anyone can learn from others mistakes if s/he just watch closely.