The Three Musketeers

Casey - Mineola, Texas

When I was 15 years old my buddies T-Wade, Eric, and I muscled up the nerve to go out on night and shoot a deer. It may not have been the smartest thing, but we were just teenage kids living in the moment. So we were in the car driving, being dumb teenagers with no idea the night is going to get a lot crazier when we spotted a buck on a hill off from the road about 250 yards. We got out with the gun, our hearts pounding in our chest. T-Wade shot three times……and missed three times. Now I’m pretty “woozy” at this point, but I grabbed the gun, put the buck in my sights, and BLAM! I laid him down. I wasn’t much worried about that though, because since I was feeling a little “woozy”, the gun slipped off my shoulder, the scope hit me in the nose and this bust it wide open.

I shook off the pain and we decided to go get this animal. We found the deer the deer, carried him to the jeep, laid down some trash bags, and threw him inside. This whole process took about thirty minutes. In the meantime, game wardens got word of all this, and sure enough, before we could split the scene, they rolled up on us. These were the two goofiest looking guys I have ever seen. One was huge, weighing a good 300 pounds, and the other was small and cross-eyed. Despite how silly they looked, they still knew how to say, “Yall are gonna need to come with us.”

We made it downtown. Mothers shed some tears, fathers shook their heads in disappointment, and in the end I wound up with a hefty fine and forty hours of community service

I have a motto in my life: “If I could do it again I’d do it the same. Not one regret I wouldn’t change a thing.” Rules are made to be broken. Kids get in trouble. No matter how old I get, I will never have too much fun.