Money Is Not the Key to Happiness

Sara - Shenandoah, Virginia

Have you ever wanted something so bad and thought that if you did not have it the world was going to come to and end or you would not be liked because you were not caught up with the Jones’? Frederick Keonig once said, “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” I believe this is true, because people are always wanting and stressing over things that they do not have and they need to be thankful for what they already have because in any instant they could lose everything they have. These things could include close friends and family or even material items that have special meaning.

People seem to think that money can buy them happiness. In my belief, money buys material things and from those come excitement, but once that excitement wears off and you get tired of that item, where are you left? You are right back to wanting more and more new things and stressing out about material items is not healthy.

I believe that people need to value themselves more and their families because money isn’t always going to be there to back them up and it will probably get them into more trouble then they could already be in.

What is the definition of happiness anyway? Webster’s dictionary says that happiness is “a state of well being and contentment.” Some people think that their happiness and contentment comes from material items when people can in fact be happy with things that they already have. Not all being material items, but family and friends as well. People who are less fortunate and have family seem to be a lot happier with what they already have and do not stress about money and end up living a better life.

Always having your needs met by someone else and having everything handed to you will only cause more problems than you more than likely already have. You are not living your own life, but rather having someone else do it for you. This causes you to become detached from society. It is not teaching you any responsibility and you will always be dependent on others. Therefore, what will you do when that person is not there to cater to your needs anymore?

Having money will only make you want more and more and this will then become a never-ending process. Once you have lived that life of always getting what you want, then you will want to continue to live that life and you will not know how to cope if you were ever to lose everything.

Having money is nice and it is nice to have new things, but having to much can just cause more stress on your life. You will have the stress of manageability of that money, what to spend it on and etc. Why do you have to have a one hundred dollar pair of jeans when the twenty dollar ones serve the purpose just as well and in my opinion are usually more fashionable. It is all about a show, because people want to be liked and if they don‘t have those one hundred dollar pair of jeans then the cheerleaders aren’t going to talk to then at school tomorrow, but money is not the answer to that. I would be happier knowing that my friends and family are here with me.

The point of my belief and is not to tell you that you will not find happiness in someone that is wealthy or a successful career and for you not to achieve your goals in life, but to tell you to look further into that life and beyond financial immensity. Love is everything greater than money ever will be. I therefore believe that money is not everything and it cannot and will not always bring you happiness.