Cellophane Sandwiches

Michael - Springfield, Missouri

Cellophane Sandwiches

I believe in never eating sandwiches that you buy from concession stands that have been wrapped in cellophane – the sandwich, not the concession stand. Seriously. You don’t know where that meat came from, or just how long it’s been sitting there behind that glass. As far as that goes, stay away from microwaved Burritos. They are nasty. And yet we eat them. It would be great if we could know exactly what it is we’re eating every time we ate. In fact, that should be everyone’s mission in life: To know exactly what it is they are eating every time they eat.

That, in turn, will cause us to think about where lots of things come from. For instance, where does the plastic that’s on the dashboard of your car come from? I’m serious. Who made it? Where do they live? How do they get home? Are they happy? Do they get paid enough? Are they being exposed to nasty chemicals that they take home on their skin and infect their newborn daughter with so that she dies before she even turns six weeks old, but nobody really knows why? And do they make the dashboards cheaply? If so, is that why we bought the car… because it was cheap?

I mean, if you really knew it was a blood diamond, would you buy it? Even if you could get a flawless stone for half the price of one that is of no where near the quality? Is that the sort of thing you’d want to give to your fiancée? Is that the sort of thing you’d want your fiancé to give to you? Would you wear it?

It all leads to the central idea: Always know the consequences of your actions. At least, try to. You really need to know what’s in that fertilizer that you’re spreading on your lawn. Sure, your grass is green, but what about that creek at the bottom of the hill? Ever wonder why the pond it drains into is so disgusting? Why it’s completely covered with algae and you haven’t seen any of the ducks that used be there in a long time?

Don’t make excuses. You really need to know. You need to be educated. And, sorry, if you’re not, it’s no one else’s fault but your own. Read. Look. Listen. Think.

Don’t depend on common sense. The whole idea of common sense is silly, anyway. I mean, who wants to be common? And how smart are the common folk that you know?

And stop trying to justify everything. It’s not okay to invade other countries because they have stuff we want. It’s not okay to suppress other people because we know what’s best for them, even if they don’t. It’s not okay to let our neighbors beat their kids because how they raise their children is not my business. Of course it is. Isn’t that the sort of thing you found so reprehensible when you were younger? What happened? And it is not okay to feed your kids cheap, high calorie food (like those sandwiches wrapped in cellophane) because you can’t afford expensive food. If you’d just learn something about food, you’d find that you can create very nutritious meals cheaply… but not easily.

Admit it. Mostly we’re dealing with laziness. We don’t want to know what’s downstream. We don’t want to know what the government’s really doing. And we don’t want to know what’s really in that sandwich. But I can guarantee you this: If we all did know what was really in that sandwich, they’d stop making them.