I believe in happiness

Mary - Marion, Wisconsin

I believe in Happiness – True Happiness. I have always been a person who liked to make people laugh, most of time at my own expense. I have always had a good sense of humor and have felt as though I was always happy.

One day my husband told me that he wanted to purchase a tape for me and was hoping that I wouldn’t be mad. The tape was “Is it possible to keep an unhappy person happy?” What? I asked him, for you or for me? The look on my face, I am guessing, didn’t look happy. Owning your own business and working all day with the public, it appeared that I was always trying to make other people happy. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and miserable.

We purchased the tape and I realized that I was a bit unhappy and it was not his responsibility to keep me happy. I was not accepting myself for who I really was. Sometimes we try to be the best wife, mother, sister, and daughter which results in trying to be someone we are not. As I learned to accept me for me, life became so much easier and enjoyable. I realized that God only wanted one of me and I needed to use the talents and blessings that he had given to me. Through the years, my friends and family are very thankful that there is only of me because they couldn’t handle more than that. As they would say, “There’s something about Mary.”

Oftentimes, it’s a negative circumstance that makes us unhappy. However, it’s our attitude toward that circumstance that keeps us from living an abundant life. I decided that I was not going to waste another day of my life being miserable because of something I had little control of in the first place.

I became addicted to reading and listening to power of positive messages. One of my favorite sayings is,” Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is the present (a gift).” We waste so much of our time worrying about what happened yesterday or what we are going to do tomorrow, that we do not enjoying our today.

I try to always have a smile on my face. In fact, sometimes people will look at me and say, “What??? What are you smiling at?” I have a hard time answering because sometimes I am not sure what I am smiling about. I have noticed that pretty soon they seem to have a smile on their face as well.

Today I challenge all of you to act as if, what if? What if I were happy today? Then believe that you are happy. What is the alternative? You have nothing to lose.

Being happy is a choice of me now, I choose happy.

I believe in Happiness.