Hard Work and Success

William - Ballston Lake, New York
Themes: work

I believe that hard work leads to success, not only to yourself but also to others.

Last year, I decided I wanted to work during the summer so I could have money I could spend how ever I wanted. After meeting a nice man whose house had recently burnt down, I decided I would like to help him construct a new one. By working hard, my hard work for this man became like a symbiotic relationship. Both of us would benefit from this relationship. I would be getting paid, and would be helping to make a house for a family in need of one.

Every day, I would arrive at my boss, Kevin’s, house around 6:30am, sometimes even before he was awake. Evan, my friend, also worked for the same man, and we became good workers together. We worked hard, every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. The work we did was very hard, one day we stood under the hot sun for 8 hours and built a beautiful deck around his pool. There were times when I would have preferred to just go home, lay down and watch T.V, but we pushed each other and got through the long hours of the days, helping a family in nee.

When the summer was coming to an end, we finished building his house. All of those long working days and nights were over, and it was getting to be that time of year when my time was going to be spent in school. My boss paid me the last working day, and trying to be polite, I didn’t count the money until I got home.

The second I walked into the door, I ran upstairs to my room, gently placed the money on my desk, making sure not to misplace any of it, and began counting. All the hundreds of hours I worked had paid off. $1,500! The week after, my dad and I drove into the farmlands of Cobleskill and purchased a used 2007 crf450r, my dream bike! That wasn’t the only success. Because of all the hard work we put into the house, we had created a beautiful gray house, one of the largest on Sandy Lane. The feeling I got when I realized how much I helped a friend, a boss, and a dad was a feeling many people don’t feel during their lifetimes. By working with Kevin for only one summer, I helped to give his family a house to live in, a house they will have for as long as they want, and a memory they will have forever.

I believe hard work leads to success, not only to yourself, but also to others. By working hard, you’re helping everyone around you, directly, or making them happy by showing that you care.