Leave Her Alone

Ashley - Tiffin, Ohio

Leave Her Alone

I believe in courage; the ability to have guts, determination, bravery, and to be strong willed. I use courage to be nice and helpful. I use courage to overcome fears. Courage is all about sticking up for what you believe in.

I was in gym class a few months ago and had just finished playing dodge ball. We went into the locker room and it smelled really bad. Some of the girls walked into the bathroom and stepped in puke. The girls screamed and then blamed it on a girl in our class that had left because she didn’t feel good. The girls told the teacher and we found out it was the girl we all thought it was. My friend and I were just standing in the locker room and we were talking about it and wondering what had happened.

A bunch of the girls in my class started badmouthing the girl that threw up. They kept saying, she meant to do it, she is so disgusting and stupid, and she is going to have to pay for new shoes, but she can’t because she is too poor. Then a lot of the girls laughed at those rude remarks. Finally I told my friend that I had enough and yelled at all the girls.

I said, “Stop being so mean to her and saying stuff behind her back”, “We don’t know what happened for sure so leave her alone”, and finally “you make fun of her all the time because she is poor, you need to STOP!”

All the girls got really quiet and left that subject alone. After I left the room I knew they were talking about me. The good part though was that I didn’t care what they were saying. I had the courage to stick up for someone and not care what people were saying about me. My friends told me good job and it made me feel good.

I thought about what I did and I thought if everyone could use courage in a good way the world would be a much better place. You can’t just sit back and make fun of someone or not intervene. I believe what I did was right and knew I was being the better person. Courage is not being mean to someone to make yourself look better; it’s about standing up for what you truly believe in to be nice and helpful!