Keegan - Sutter, Illinois
Themes: nature

I believe in watching the sunset. I like to experience the illusion of the blue sky fading away into stars that scream totality. The blue sky reminds me of the illusion of life, and the stars remind me that there is something bigger and greater than all of us. I try to make the few minutes it takes for the sun to set the most calm and peaceful of my day. Just a few minutes it takes for the sun to set illustrates how everything is constantly flowing and always changing. All the different colors in the sky that change every few seconds reminds me of the different spectrums of life and how everything and everybody are different but connected.

As the sun sets I try not to think of anything. I have done so much and have so much to do, I need something to pull me back into what matters, something to remind me of why I try, why I push myself to reach further; something to remind me of how all things are possible. As the sun sets I see change in the sky and become aware of change in my own life. I see not only the changes I have made to get where I am but how everything is always changing. I am headed right for change while watching it.

I see the whole circle of life. The sunset is the death of a day; the night shows me how small my world is compared with the stars, and soon the sun will rise on a brand new day that one only gets to experience once, like life.

But the sun doesn’t ever really set, does it? The earth just turns its face away for a while and yet the earth has flourished from the balance of night and day, just as I have learned from the darker times in my life and grown from the lighter times.

After I get a few minutes of peace and the sun is gone, I tell myself that maybe I will get just one more day and maybe that day will be better than this. Even though this may be my last day, I will feel I have not left it in vain. I reflect on how I try to make each day count with a smile, a nice word when unexpected, something to make this world a little better, something good to leave in this world when I may do the same. I value seeing one more sunset gone; I recognize in the sunset what it took for me to get here. I recognize every molehill I made into a mountain and every mountain I had to overcome to watch the sunset once more.

I believe in sunsets. I live by them. Some days they make me sane. Some days they are the answer. Even though there might be clouds in the way of the sunset, I can still feel what is behind them. Just like on my bad days, I know that good things are still there even though they are clouded. With everything that goes on in one day the sunset is constant; the day might be complete madness, but the sunset is still, quiet, constant. Viewing the sunset takes no money, no effort, only the God given gift of eye sight viewing the sunset can I relax and reboot.