My Mothers Words.

Jordan - Denison, Kansas

My mother has a way with her words. She may not realize it, but some of the stuff she’s said sticks in my head. Not only mine, but my friends too. One phrase in particular runs through my mind often. “It all comes out in the wash.” A simple seven words, repeated every time I’ve been upset or mad, every time I’ve been dumped, or ignored, or gotten in a fight with a friend.

To some people it may just mean, “Do your laundry” or “Take a shower”, but to me it means it’s okay to cry. She’s always told me that sometimes you have to just cry, and cry, and cry, and eventually you’ll feel better, or you’ll fall asleep. It also means that on occasion, it’s all right to pour water over your best friend’s head.

It was just one of those nights, you know the kind, where everything seems to start okay but ends up turning out pretty bad. I had my best friend spending the night with me. We were laughing and having a good time, and then for some forgotten, unimportant reason, my mom and I got in a fight. This was quite the shock to my friend, and she didn’t act the same the rest of the night.

Sometime later in the evening, probably closer to midnight, my mom yells for us to come into the kitchen. She sits us down and we talk, for hours. We sit there and talk about everything. And then, right as everyone is getting to that point of deliria from lack of sleep she stands up, fills a big cup with water and says “It all comes out in the wash”, and pours the water over both of our heads.

That night was forever engraved into my head, along with my best friends head. We talk about it every once in a while. Every one of my friends has ended up going to my mom for advice. Sometimes I don’t acknowledge her for being as great of a mom as she is. She’s always got advice, or a story.

It seems like every time I’ve gone through something difficult in my life, the same thing happened to her. She’ll give me advice, I won’t listen, and when it turns out she’s right, she’ll wait a week before she says, “I told you so”. And then I’ll tell her I’ll listen to her next time, but never actually do. Then the process repeats itself.

So, I believe, that my mom has the power to effect people with her words. She’s the only one whose words can affect me like they do. She’s given me the best advice out of any one. I go to her before I go to any of my friends. My friends even go to her for advice, but they’re always sure to make sure to look if there’s a glass of water anywhere near.