My Parents

Carter - Waterville, Iowa
Themes: setbacks

When I was three years old my parents had a big fight. Since I was only three years old, my sisters, Bobbi and Makenna, told me about it. It was about ten years ago when they had that fight and, from that day and from now on, I will always believe that life isn’t always fair.

At that time I was living in a white house in Rossville, Iowa which is close to Waukon. I really don’t remember that day very well, but that fight affects my life very dramatically. It all started when my dad was at work and my mom was at the house watching us three kids. When my dad got home, my mom wanted to go over to the Old Rossville Store which is a restaurant and a bar. Anyway, my mom wanted to go over their, but my dad wouldn’t let her and thats when the fighting began. When they were fighting and yelling, my sisters, Bobbi and Makenna, were crying and I probably would have, but I was still really little and I really didn’t understand much of it. That day my dad had his mom, my Grandma, come and get us. I figure so that they could figure out if they were going to separate or stay together. When they finally figured it out, they tried to explain it to my sisters but they really didn’t understand. After they filed for a divorce, my mom, my two sisters, and I had to move out.

The first place we moved to was a trailer park in McGregor. We lived in that trailer park for about a year. When we were living there, my Mom’s friend, Shannon, had a trailer right next to us. So, when my Mom was at work, she would watch us.

When we moved from that trailer, we moved up on this huge hill in McGregor. We lived there for about half a year, then we moved to Monona, where I live now. When we moved into the house in Monona, I was about five years old. At that time my Mom had a boyfriend and he was okay, but my Mom broke up with him. Then she met Kurt, who is my step dad now. When my Mom told us kids about him, I was a little shocked. They eventually got married and have been married for about seven years now. Now I always think, if I don’t get something I want, that life isn’t fair and this is I believe.