Life Isn’t Always Fair

Garrett - Wilmington, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Life Isn’t Always Fair

Have you ever heard the phrase, “life isn’t always fair?” I have. Do you think that it is a true statement? I do. This is because my parents got a divorce. Now that this has happened in my life, whenever I don’t get something that I wanted, I don’t complain because that’s life and you don’t always get what you want.

It all started when I was 7 years old. It was weird because my mom and dad got divorced in the same week, month, and year that 9/11 occurred. I was so confused because all this stuff was in the same time period and I was too young to understand what was happening. I remember a lot of fighting between mother and father. One time, my mom and dad were fighting and I woke up because they were yelling extremely loud. I started to cry because the yelling and screaming terrified me. My mom finally took my sister and I to a friend of hers house, and we stayed there all night.

That same year, my mom moved my sister and I from Oklahoma to Kentucky. I didn’t know why we were moving. We moved in with my grandma. I thought we were just visiting for a while, but then my sister and I started to go to school there. I was extremely confused, so I asked my mother and she explained the whole situation. I lived with my mom for 1 year and then I moved back to Oklahoma to live with my dad. Then, my dad moved us from Oklahoma to Illinois.

Having my mom and dad divorced is really hard for me because I barely get to see my mom and sister. When I was younger, I wanted them to get back together, but they didn’t. I usually see my mom and sister on Christmas, spring, and summer break. Now that I’m going to go live with my mom, I’ll be able to see her more often now.

In conclusion, I’ve learned that life isn’t always fair and to not complain when I don’t get what I want, or when something doesn’t go my way. I also learned to be very flexible. When all of this was happening, I was sad and confused, but now I’m more understanding of the situation. This is why I believe that life isn’t always fair.