The Power of Honesty

Katrina - Waterville, Iowa

It was a hot, summer day, and Randi, Keisha, and Scotty were on their way up to my house. I waited a few minutes, and they still weren’t there, and I was getting anxious. So I told my great-grandma, who my mom and I live with, that I was going to meet up with my friends and that I would be right back. So, I ran out the door, down the hill, and down the middle of the street. I saw them once I was down on the street, but I kept running toward them. As we got closer, I started to tell them about my day with my dad. But, most of the stuff was lies. Afterward, I felt really guilty.

I learned that lying makes everything worse and that you should always try to tell the truth, even though it may hurt you or somebody that’s important to you.

Most of the lies that I told were in the period of time from first grade through the end of fourth grade. During that time, I thought that the most important things at school were trying to fit in, but now I know that fitting in isn’t important. I know that it can be good to stick out and be bold sometimes and I have learned that school and grades and friends are more important than looks and fitting in.

I have used this lesson since then many times. I try not to lie as much, (which I’m not saying that is something I do a lot), but I usually only do it when I know that the person I have to tell the truth to doesn’t want to know the truth.

When I make decisions about lying, I usually automatically know to tell the truth. If it’s something that I don’t want to tell the truth about, I usually try to get off-subject and ask a random question.

Now I know that lying is not important, like what I thought when I was young. Now I know that, even though the truth may hurt, if you don’t tell the truth the first time, it will eventually come back to you and make things worse than they ever would have been.

When I think back on these days, it makes me feel regretful about some of the things that I lied about. I would like to tell people that before this event I thought that lying would make me a better person. Now I know that lying doesn’t solve or help anything, it just makes everything worse. One value that was important to me back then was trying to fit in, but it was pretty hard. Some values that are important to me now are: telling the truth, having fun, and having friends and many friendships.

Sometimes when I think back on some of the things that I lied about when I was young, I regret that I ever said what I did. I know that I shouldn’t have said some of the things I did, but I know that that was the past, and there is always a future to look forward to.