Don’t Swet the Small Stuff

Armand - Prescott Valley, Arizona

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

You know what I’ve noticed? From my observations of other people, and even myself at times, I have noticed that people freak out over the smallest things. A lot! I would say I am better than many others at looking at situations from a distance when they occur so I can decide if it is really anything worth losing my temper over. So many times I see others flipping out over things that, really, just don’t matter. At the same time, these people who notice every little annoyance throughout their day fail to see any of the good day to day things. Noticing these small daily blessings goes hand in hand with overlooking many of the daily trials, and of the two, is perhaps more important.

A prime example of a little thing that made someone flip brings me back to the Fry’s self check out line one day. I was standing, waiting for the next available machine perhaps a little off center. Maybe it was this that made a particularly grumpy middle-aged woman come to the conclusion I wasn’t really waiting any of the four machines to be vacated. Regardless, as soon as one of the machines was available I walked over to it to purchase my bottle of water, which was the only item I had by the way. As soon as I arrived at the machine the woman starts scolding me and telling me! She said that I was waiting on the other side and that she was waiting on that machine this whole time. For a second, I considered arguing with her. Then I realized that it would be worthless, and would only hold me up in the purchase of my bottle of water. So I smiled and simply told her that ‘I was waiting on all of the machines, which is why I stood approximately in the center. But since it is so important to you, just go ahead and use the machine.’ So I picked up my one item and walked over to the other side where a man had just finished and was leaving.

I’ve tried to think of some examples of the daily blessings that I have in my life. Things like family, all of my material possessions, food, friends, health, and a myriad of other things, but despite all these that came to mind, there are no specific stories or alliterations that I could think of. Really, these small daily “good things” are really usually enjoyed in the moment, and then influence the whole day—if you remain thankful. If however the thought of these things leave your mind and you take them for granted, you’re setting yourself up for a bad day.

What I am trying to communicate to you, dear reader, is my belief and my common practice: not to sweat the small stuff. At the same time, do not overlook the small daily blessing that present themselves to us. While it is difficult and important to not let small pointless things bother you, it is easy to not notice all the little good things you have in your daily life. While I believe in the vast importance of noticing and being thankful for all the small blessing in day to day life, it is a difficult thing for me to do. I mean life in itself is a blessing, right? Even if you lost your wallet, glasses, money, car keys, child—never mind that last one is a big deal actually—you’re still alive aren’t you? Even when your best friend is mad at you and you think that you will never be friends, you still have your family.

If I and everyone else were to live by these two ides a little more often, I am convinced of at least two effects. Everyone would be a lot more relaxed, and everyone would be more content with their lives. This means: less road rage, less stress, less depression, and less psychiatrists (no offence, but it would be inevitable). This, my friends, I what I truly and honestly believe.