Stop Lying

Jenifer - Watervillie, Iowa
Themes: integrity

I Believe

One very important lesson I learned before and in eighth grade again was telling the truth. Here is my story about how I have learned that telling the truth is the best road to go down in life, because lying will get you in trouble just for lying obviously, then, also having to tell your parents that you lied, and for doing the thing you lied about.

The day of our Christmas Dance we had a party at school for Christmas break. I had told my parents that I was going to go to the dance after the party. Then something came up with my friend’s. That we all wanted to go to my friend’s house to get ready for the dance after the party. My and three friends and I walked to my friend’s house at like 4:30 to get ready. Her house was three blocks away. So, we got there, watched T.V for a little while, then started to get ready. My friend found her phone and got a text from a girl who said we needed to get to the school and get this figured out. We finished getting ready and I called my mom and told her I was at my friend’s house getting ready and would be going to the dance like we planned. She was okay as long as I was not running around town. We were all done getting ready and we got a ride to the school from her sister. We payed our money for the dance and the we went and talked to a teacher. I told her my side of the story, Also, I told her that I had talked to my mom about it and it was alright as long as I went to the dance after and then the school to get picked up. So, as I have told you, telling the truth is the best thing to do .

When the night was over, I road the bus up to the school to get picked up. Then I went home to sleep and got up the next morning. That morning my mom wanted to talk to me about all of it, like why I changed my mind about going to my friends house. I said that we just went there to get ready before the dance. She was fine with it but kind of mad because I changed plans at the last minute.

Before I thought that lying got you out of all the trouble, but actually it doesn’t. All it does is make the situation worse. What I want all of you people to get out of my problem is that lying is not the way to go. If you tell the truth all the time people believe you more and can trust you more. If you start lying, people start to not trust you anymore. So, everyone, telling the truth is the best way to go.