Self Confidence

Jessica - Waterville, Iowa

Do you ever wonder when you’re going to mess up next? I did when I was eleven years old. Walking into the ring, leading pigs around, I wondered why I ever went out for 4-H. My hands were shaking so bad and I couldn’t feel my legs, but I held my head up, smiled, and tried to remember all the things I was suppose to do. Then the questions started running through my head, “Why am I here? What do I do next?, Is everyone laughing at me?” I looked around and everyone was focused on me and my pigs. These were times that I need confidence.

I started 4-H when I was in fifth grade and it wasn’t my choice either. The first year I showed at fair was probably the best, just because I didn’t know anyone and didn’t care what anyone thought of me.

My second year in 4-H, however, I started to wonder what people thought of me and how I looked. Then, when I walked into the ring, my stomach tightened and I got nervous. My actions and emotions made a huge difference in my judging. I didn’t receive as many trophies that year. I realized that I needed to work on my self-confidence.

After my second year showing at the fair, I started remembering things that helped me relax when I walked in the ring. The first thing on my mind is to smile and act like nothing is wrong. Then, I have to have a little self-confidence. A huge part of showing and being in front of people is having confidence and not letting anything slow me down.

Life is like showing animals in 4-H, you are judged whether you like it or not, you have to be your best to get the best, and you always need to try your hardest. Going through life, you have to have confidence also.

So, no matter what life throws at me, I have to have self-confidence. I learned that when I have confidence, I look, act, and feel better in life. So no matter where I am, I try to remember that all I need is confidence.