Competition Makes Me Better

Brandon - Waterville, Iowa

Competition Makes a Better Me

I believe that being a student-athlete in middle school is very important. Being in sports causes me to push myself to my limits. In school it is very important for me to get good grades and be a successful person. If you do not agree with me just ask Florida State Cornerback Myron Rolle. He is a great corner and a Rhodes Scholar, which is a very honorable education accomplishment. In school getting good grades and receiving educational awards is very important. I believe it is important to receive a full-ride scholarship to college whether the scholarship is an athletic or academic scholarship. I have overcame obstacles in certain classes like language. I am not a good writer, so I have to work harder than than some people. Also, in art I have problems because I have no artistic skills.

Being part of an athletic team teaches me leadership, responsibility, and a hard work ethic. Being competitive is very important to me because I work harder when I am against someone else. During the the football season Blake Winter and I cleaned up the locker room after practice each day because we were leaders and I wanted to be the better person and pick-up after everyone else. In practice I worked hard and got better at hitting and tackling. That progress showed in the games where I had a lot of tackles. At the end of the each school year there are rewards handed out for academics and citizenship. I believe it is very important to recognized in assembles for your participation and accomplishments whether my accomplishments be sports or academics. Being recognized refuels me to work hard for things like sports or academics.

In school I feel like the teacher like all of the students. It is important to get along with my teachers and coaches, so that I can succeed at whatever I am doing. If I do not get along with coaches or teachers I feel that I do not get much out of the sport or class. I feel if I do not give 110% in sports I am wasting the time of my coaches. I feel that student-athletes take on big role because you work hard at practices or games then you go home and do your homework. This is what I believe.