Change, I hope is for the best

Lorissa - Ishpeming, Michigan

As you all know we have a new President, Barack Obama. On November 4th the citizens of my hometown of Ishpeming voted for their favorite nominee: Barack Obama or John McCain. When I walked into the living room the next morning (November 5th) the Today show said that Barack Obama had been elected our 44th president. At school a few of my friends were mad that John McCain had lost but others, like me, were glad that Obama had won.

Then on January 20th Barack Obama was inaugurated into the presidency and gave what I feel was an amazing speech. I watched part of it at school with a few of my friends before we went to lunch. I was kind of mad that I didn’t get to watch the whole thing because history was being made and barriers were being broken as he was sworn in as president. I wanted to hear his whole speech and what he had to say about our country. I was very eager to get home so I could hear the whole thing.

When I heard his speech on television later that night I thought he sounded like Martin Luther King Jr. I’ve watched his “I Have a Dream Speech” on TV before and I thought President Obama’s speech sounded similar.

President Obama talked about things that are important to me. He explained how he plans to get the economy back on its feet, and how to get the country off fossil fuels and start using renewable energy.

Even though I’m a kid, I feel like what he said will have an impact on me and my future. Unless we act now, when my friends and I grow up we will be left with the problems of rising gas prices, and pollution. I think President Obama has ideas about how to get us using wind energy and renewable resources which means that we won’t use as much fossil fuel and we won’t cause as much pollution. I feel changing to renewable resources means that my generation won’t have to deal with as many global warming problems.

In school we’ve learned about many democratic values such as justice, equality, liberty and the rule of law. If we didn’t follow those values I think our country would fall apart, be out of order, and we wouldn’t accomplish anything. One of the reasons I really like President Obama is because I feel he will lead us using those core democratic values. He also inspires me to do things for the common good, which is another one of our core democratic values. And, because he’s gone to a very good school, he makes me want to do better in school so I can go on to accomplish great things.

I think the next four years will change America and I hope it’s for the best. I look forward to seeing what he has in store for the future.