My Aunt Julie

Allisha - Waterville, Iowa
Themes: death

It was February 12, 2007, and I had a basketball game. My whole family was there, including my aunt. Her name was Julie and she was so loud and full of life. She would always come to all of my basketball games. She would cheer for our team and for the other team also. She seemed perfectly fine that day, but she complained about having cold feet. Everyone just thought that she just had a cold, but that’s not what it was.

When she was about 11, she was on the Junior High basketball team. The coach drove the bus because they couldn’t find a bus driver. On the way home, the bus slipped on some ice and drove over a cliff. All the girls were thrown to the front of the bus, including my aunt. She was on the bottom of the whole pile. My aunt broke her arm, busted both kidneys, lost her spleen, hurt her liver, and punctured both lungs. Only my aunt, two other girls, and the coach got seriously injured. The coach broke a bone in his forearm, which bent and stuck out of his skin. He was a very strong man because he was the one who carried all of the girls off the bus even with his injury.

My aunt spent over a month in the hospital. She had to have surgery to take out her spleen and to repair her lungs. She also had a cast put on her arm. Because of the accident, my aunt got colds and infections easily. Whenever she didn’t feel well, she just thought that she was sick, and so did everyone else.

As she grew older, she got more and more colds and infections. She got an infection that was so bad, that it got into her blood stream and poisoned her. Because of the poison, everyplace her heart pumped, an organ was killed.

The day after my basketball game, my aunt got really sick. She couldn’t get out of bed, and she started to swell up. My aunt was quickly rushed to the hospital. The doctors put her on a ventilator, but they could do nothing more. She started to turn septic.

She soon died the next day, which happened to be Valentine’s Day. She died of complete organ failure. Her throat was swollen before she died, which made it hard to breathe. She didn’t struggle much when she left, she was just gone. She died when she was only 46 years old, and I will never forget her. I know that she is always with my family and I. So every time her birthday comes around, we send balloons out, with my cousin’s name and number on them.

Well, this summer, something really cool happened when my family let the balloons free. It was on June 13th, my aunt’s birthday. My grandma and the rest of the family sent out the balloons, but they got stuck in a tree. My little six year old cousin got so mad, because Julie was his grandma, and he didn’t want to forget her.

He got mad and my grandma said to him, “Don’t worry Trevor, grandma can reach down at any time and grab the balloons.

” And, as soon as she said that, a big gust of wind swooped up and untangled a balloon that was red and said, “I love you” on it. It was amazing.

Another thing happened with my cousin. She is my aunt’s daughter. Her name is Dacia and she was trying for two and a half years to get pregnant. The month my aunt died, my cousin got pregnant. It was a miracle.

These things help me believe that my aunt is always with me and my family. I will never forget her. Her death has taught me that life can be very short and unfair. I miss her a lot and wish she would have never left us.