Happy Endings

Erin - Coquitlam, Canada

I believe in the possibility and potential of happy endings. The negative events that occur throughout one’s lifetime do not necessarily end up negatively. There is always potential for growth and change in every oh-god-it’s-the-end-of-the-world moment. Most of the time, these situations are not nearly as bad as they are perceived to be by the person experiencing them. When one finds oneself in an unfortunate situation, there will almost always be a way to turn it around. I’ve personally experienced many situations where things seemed completely horrible in the beginning. On those occasions I then decided that I wasn’t going to let it end up badly and tried my best to reverse it completely.

My family has always instilled the knowledge that I am loved and appreciated in me, and has been there for me at every unfortunate turn in the road. I knew that my parents loved each other and were in love with each other, and knew the difference between those two emotions as well.

My brother Alex and I have been a part of a loving, caring family ever since we were born and never thought that anything would ever happen to tear this dynamic apart. A year ago, my parents called Alex and I into what was looking back, ironically called the family room. My parents had news for us – they were separating and getting divorced. In one single moment, my comforting, safe, world was seemingly torn apart. It didn’t seem real to me that my parents would actually divorce in a year and be living separately. They never fought and still closely interacted – they were and still are each other’s best friends. The way I see their relationship is that they still love each other as friends, but they aren’t in love with each other. Now even though they’ll be moving to separate houses in a few months and they’re dating other people, I’ve come to terms with the situation. I understand that they don’t need to have the passionate, romantic kind of love to still love each other, and that it’s okay for me to accept that.

Although this is one of the most difficult, heartbreaking events that has ever happened in my life, I’m determined to turn it around. I know that the bad parts of this situation outweigh the good parts, but by focusing on the potential for happiness this situation has to offer, I can reverse this bad beginning and turn it into a happy ending. This situation brings about a lot of changes in my life; some that make me so angry I want to break something, some that cause me to fill up with sadness, and some that just make me feel all jumbled up inside like a board game that’s lost some of the pieces. I need to try to make sense of these feelings so this situation gets better for me and so I can grow as a person.