David - Richmond, Texas
Themes: morality

Morality. Moral judgment. Beliefs. How do we define these aspects of our lives? They are not written in a book, and can’t be found on the internet. They are present in everyone, but can take a lifetime to discover. They are never spoken, but can be heard louder than any action. Your morality, moral judgment and beliefs all emanate from one mot juste: convictions.

Convictions are defined as ones promise to oneself or society. They are the basis for how we act, treat others, and make decisions. These convictions are not to be taken lightly. Once made, they become a part of who we are as people. They bond with our essence in a way so that if we break these convictions we are tearing out a part of who we are.

No one can tell you to make a conviction; it is simply an unwritten contract for you alone. However, after these promises have been made, you have to stick to them. No one can persuade you to follow your promise, or tell you when you’ve broken it; everything about convictions is up to you!

With the vast amount of room available for interpretation, why do so few people have convictions? Convictions are supposed to be a lighthouse on a stormy night, guiding you through the tumult and confusion. Although they may seem impractical at times, they are always there to save you in the end. Many people in modern society cannot see this, however. They are so focused on the short term rewards that they fail to see their character growing and their thoughts becoming more focused. When you make a conviction, you help to define yourself as an individual. You no longer have to worry about what the crowd thinks, because you can decide that on your own. Unfortunately for the impatient, this takes time! We are constantly searching for faster ways to accomplish our goals, but this is one thing that cannot be rushed.

As society has progressed through the ages it has become more obsessed with seeking instantaneous rewards. So, naturally we would want the same to happen with convictions. People will experiment with convictions, then decide to forget about them as soon as they don’t see the reward, or when the going gets tough. These people do not realize the grave extent of what they’ve done. By breaking this conviction they have set a precedent for their life’s path. They have shown that it’s O.K. to shrug off something that was once of the utmost importance to their life. I believe that in doing this we have begun unraveling of the fabric of our conscience. After even one promise has been broken, we set ourselves down a path that can rarely be changed.

Without convictions, there is no morality. Without morality, there is no law, and without law there is no society. I believe in one’s obligation to their convictions and their duty to follow through to the very end.