Time to Move On

Chris - westminster, Massachusetts

I believe in appreciation: appreciation of each moment as it zips by. When we are consciously thinking about how fast time passes, it doesn’t seem fast at all. But when we think about time in retrospect, it can seem as though something that took place six months ago just happened the other day. With our busy schedules it can be hard to just stop for a moment and realize everything that is happening, and truly appreciate it. And as I get older, I find that time seems to pass more and more quickly.

My mom has always told me to enjoy school because “these are the best years of your life and they go fast”, and I would always just dismiss it with a “whatever” or an “OK, Mom”, but recently I have found myself thinking about her words more often. At the end of eighth grade, when my brother was graduating from high school, I remember thinking that I was so far away from that, but now I’ll be graduating in a little more than three months. In a way, it’s very exciting, but in another way, it’s scary because these past four years have been a blur and it seems like no time has passed at all. I think about how fast everything has happened, and how much fun I’ve had. I also think about how much I am going to miss school, despite the fact that I am constantly complaining about how much I hate school.

Lately I’ve been trying to appreciate everything going on, but it can be hard. Between school, work, after school activities, and the seemingly endless application process for colleges, I haven’t had a lot of time to just relax and take it all in. I’ve realized that I’ve been busy and that I haven’t really paid too much attention to smaller and ultimately more important things. John Lennon was right when he said, “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.”