To Save and Be Saved

Yeseñia - Dewey/AZ/86327

To Save and Be Saved

I stood outside Mr. Al’s designated room, it was CC1 (Critical Care Room 1). I heard the heart rate monitor beeping at a faster pace than normal. There were three insistent professionals in the room; a paramedic placing an IV in his weakened arm while explaining to Al it would be a quick pinch, an EMT placing an oxygen mask across his poignant, pale lower face, and a nurse asking him questions just making sure he was still conscious of what was going on all around him. I heard the footsteps that paced swiftly against the faithful, hospital floor and the hands grabbing at the equipment needed in the room. I heard the nurse place her latex gloves on, while asking the doctor to come in to instruct them. In a moment’s time, Al’s elevated heart rate began to plummet as his body began to crash! His respiratory rate decreased to eight breaths per minute, his pulse continually decreasing, and his skin becoming diaphoretic. I heard Mr. Al’s wife weeping uncontrollably while saying a prayer under her breath. The nurse, distressed, shouted for the doctor, “HE IS CODING!” I heard myself saying God please guide these medics’ hands. I believe I have a purpose and destiny, in saving lives but I will need the ultimate physician.

This is a true story of an elderly man I was aquainted with. Mr. Al unfortuately had liver cancer. He was constantly in and out of the hospital, even if he had a slight cold. With his condition it seems to me like his pain was unbearable. Over time I’d seen his health worsen. Although he had cancer, he never forgot to remind his wife and many others he was fully alive. I went into Al’s room to remember life is a gift. Everytime I entered he looked at me as if I was an angel sent from heaven. His smile was so pure and focused as if he just got a glimpse of pardise. I looked at him with a passion, he was always glowing and made it known to everyone that everyday of living was an amazing blessing. Mr. Al had been very close to death quite a few times but he was the strongest man in my eyes; his hopefulness to this day inspires me to further myself in saving lives. Mr. Al died February 2, 2009. I knew him about a month in a half but in that time he was able to teach me life more abundantly; how I need to reach out and save people not only in the emergency room but to the many people that are lost in this corrupt world. With his deep, heavy breathing he would tell me to share my salvation, God’s love, and the gift of life to everyone.

As human beings, we are not guaranteed of our next breath here on this earth but while hearing those professionals work on Mr. Al it was clear to me that it takes a heart of gold to save a life. I know medical professionals have responsibility, zeal, and integrity to reach out to someone they’ve never even met. Being saved and saving others is where I desire to be. Working at bringing back a life whether it would be in their health or spiritually is what I most definitely believe in. I want to save lives, but that is not possible without the ultimate physician, and that is God.