Andrew - Burlingame, California

I tend to be the last minute kind of guy. This behavior has allowed me to see procrastination not only as a good thing, but rather a skill. A skill that is not easy to perfect and can lead to stressful situations, if taken to extremes. I’m not saying that I encourage everyone to wait to do their work until the last second, but if the choice is between getting a head start or taking some time for yourself. My suggestion, procrastinate.

Last quarter I took Coms 102. When I received the syllabus I saw that we had a ten page paper due on the last day of class. I thought of the requirements of the paper and began to brainstorm. I had to conduct an interview on struggles communicating in a professional’s work field. Taking the information, I needed to find solutions to the problems and write my research paper. My thoughts jumped from one thing to the next: when would I go, who would I go see, how would I get there, would it be enough information, would it be interesting? Suddenly, I had another realization: I still had a whole quarter to do it.

The effective use of time is what makes procrastination a skill. The common saying time is money, may be true. But, through procrastinating I have found that time is also a great stress reliever. Using time to relax or engage in hobbies allows me to enjoy myself outside of the classroom. Procrastinating, I get the same amount and quality of work done, and it gives me a balance of my time between school and other activities. Many will claim procrastination is stressful, and harmful to one’s health. It may seem like doing fixed amounts of work every day would be beneficial, and someone could even fall into a routine of doing homework at a certain time. But, having a certain homework time doesn’t work for everything in the real world. There are day to day deadlines where a person can’t just schedule a time for work. In the real world the skills of procrastination pay off. I have learned how to work well under pressure from procrastinating, and this will allow me to effectively meet deadlines.

As last quarter was wrapping up, I had not finished my paper. In fact I had not even heard from the person I had originally contacted. I ended up having to call around and perform a last minute interview. The situation turned out better than I could have hoped. I was pressured by a deadline, and I had to finish. So, with the interview fresh in my mind, I had plenty of details and ideas to apply to my paper. It turned out well, and I had not worried as much as some of the others in the class who had done their interview weeks before and had lost materials and needed to re-contact their interviewees. As a procrastinator with a mind full of deadlines and plenty of time to get everything done, I only see benefits to procrastination.