Transformation of Equality

Danitra - Humble, Texas

A few decades ago, existing as a minority in the United States came as a burden with obstacles attached. Minorities were not able to receive education of any sort, citizenship, or the right to vote. At the present time, education, citizenship and voting rights are luxuries that cannot be denied or ever taken away from a person seeking a better life in this country. American justice has traveled a long way from discrimination to equality.

Today, education is a valuable tool that many people should be eager to take advantage of while the price of education is free. Yet, every year, many children find themselves being labeled as college drop-outs, incapable of earning adequate education. When slavery took place centuries ago, an education was not available for minorities. People like Frederick Douglass, had to learn how to read and write from others, themselves, or even his slave master. As teenagers, I believe some of us do not cherish our education as we should. Years ago, to be applicable for most occupations, a college education was not needed. Nowadays, a college education is needed just to be able to provide for the future and to receive a decent profession. It is said that the greater time spent attending school the larger the income received for an occupation.

Without being a citizen of the United States, minorities do not have the right to vote. Being able to vote gives people a voice in our political world. For example, Martin Luther King, Jr. is known for his speech “I Have a Dream”. He was known all around the world for desiring, and fighting for justice and equality for all ethnicities, as stated in his speeches. Historical feats have been made by leaps and bounds pertaining to politics over the past years due to people such as Martin Luther King Jr. People such as Dr. King were courageous enough to stand up, go against the grain and fight for what they believed in. Dr. King walked in the March on Washington in 1963 so that Barack Obama could run for presidency. Electing the first African American President Barack Obama was a massive event for Americans. This was the first time that many young Americans participated in registering to vote. This feat proved to the world that America is truly a place of opportunity for all.

I believe we as Americans have progressed from being a nation divided and become one nation united. My country has advanced to impartiality. Ethnicities that were deemed inferior or superior now exist amongst the same platform. Unfortunately, America has not been freed completely of injustice for the people, but we continue to make progress. One sweet day, there will be “justice for all (United States of America Pledge of Allegiance)”.