I Believe in the Perfect catch

Chelsea - Camarillo, California

I believe in the perfect catch. A catch that is all your own. A catch so special, no one can take it away; it belongs to you. A catch that fills you with happiness, brilliance and bliss. I caught my perfect catch in the summer of 2008 on a long range fishing trip down in the deep waters of Mexico.

Ever since I could remember, my dad left for a week-long fishing trip to Mexico with his closest friends once a year. I was envious of his trip, the stories he had upon his return and the huge fish that he caught. I wanted to have a spot on that trip and my dad always told me that once I entered college, I could come with him. College seemed like a lifetime away during elementary school, but the years flew by and suddenly I was entering Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

It was the spring of 2008 when I was sitting in my dorm room and I received a phone call from my dad. “Of course I want to come!” I answered…and the trip was on. I was so excited for the next months to fly by and I could finally be in Mexico reeling in 100 pound yellowtail tunas. Finally, it was time and we drove down to San Diego, loaded our gear on the big, clean, white fishing boat — which soon would be covered in fish blood and scales from the days of fishing ahead. The boat set out from the harbor and sailed smoothly across the ocean. I walked out to the bow of the boat and gazed out at the seals and pelicans that played in the water. The sun shimmered upon the ocean and a slight breeze ran through the air and skimmed the across the water creating a ripple effect. I felt as if I was one with the ocean, in sync with nature and at home where I belonged. I breathed in the cool, salty air and a smile washed across my face, as if the tide had brought it in. Soon, my dad joined me at the bow and we watched as the San Diego coast shrunk down to nothing as the boat cruised farther down into Mexican waters. For the next few hours, I chatted anxiously with the captain, the deck crew, and all of my dad’s friends. They told me of the 100 pound tunas and the bright colored doratos that were to be caught, the thousands of dolphins that would play in the wake of the boat, the pain my back and body would be in from reeling in a huge dorato and the excitement of landing my first tuna in the boat, a perfect catch. Soon, the sun started to set, casting beautiful streaks of reds, purples, and pinks across the horizon. I had never seen a sunset so striking. As the sun disappeared down below the deep ocean, my dad at my side, the smell of the salty ocean tickling my nose, I knew that I had just caught my perfect catch. My perfect catch was not the 100 pound tuna, but the pure happiness that I felt with the open sea surrounding me, the brilliance of the sun setting and the bliss of my dad right at my side. My perfect catch was better than even the biggest yellowtail tuna swimming below, waiting for me to hook it and reel it in. This moment was my perfect catch and no one could take it away from me.