A HELPFUL BREAK-UP

Heather - Tukwila, Washington

“Get used to it you guys, because your mom and I are over.” That was the last thing my dad said to my mom. I’m used to them being apart now but it was a hard time for my family and I to go through. To me it’s not how the person looks or acts but how the two of them, in the relationship, work together. It’s like how peanut butter and jelly go together, but some people are just not meant for each other.

Going through this moment in my life, I feel really relieved that it happened now than later on. I probably would have never made peace with my mom or forgave her, but then again I don’t think she would have done what she did. After all the lies and fake stories she kept on telling my dad and me, it was hard to forgive her even more. I don’t just blame her, my dad has the same amount of fault that my mom has, but he didn’t go out every week to go see another man. Forgiving my mom was very hard, I always got into fights with her because she thought that her kids wouldn’t be mad at her decisions. After a couple more visits to see her I know now that I’m not the one who controls her, what ever she did or does it’s up to her.

After this experience, I’ve noticed that everybody has to be careful with the choices we make. It’s kind of like trying new things over and over again in our lives. The dumbest, but new, thing I tried in my life was a cigarette, my very first cigarette, I hated the taste, the smell, and the feeling it left in my body. Now I know, from that experience, is that I’m never going to smoke again. For me, trying stuff for the first time helps me choose if I’m ever going to do it again or not. My dad always tells me, “Don’t let horrible things get to the point where it’s too hard and painful to get out of.” I look at it as if you know something isn’t right, you should help your self and figure out what to do.

Since I’ve learned that my mom and dad aren’t meant to be together, it opened my eyes that there are going to be other times in my life that I might have to go through this all over again. It’s not the best feeling in the world, but my parents’ separation taught me a lot and how to handle situations like this one if it ever happens again. I believe that trying new things is good, I believe that going through hard times is a good way to go on about life because life is hard at times.