My Home Remedy

Amalia - Houston, Texas

This I believe… the age of the home remedy will come to pass, but if nothing is done, it will come to pass unseen, unheard of, and with it take the culture of our very roots.

Not long ago, I was stricken with a cold. My throat seemed to constrict, a booby-trapped vacuum that irritated to no end. Many mothers would just give a child some cough medicine and be done with it. My mother instead of being the “traditional” mother warmed me up some milk and cinnamon on the stove. I took it relaxing from the emanating heat and slowly drank it. Sip by sip, the walls of my throat expanded and when I swallowed there was no sandpaper friction, it was replaced by a soft river of cinnamon milk sliding down my throat: my home remedy.

In this age it’s easy to take a pill that will “instantly” cure whatever illness we have. But as powerful as it is, it’s just as debilitating. Penicillin was once used by all when discovered by Alexander Fleming, but this once revolutionary antibiotic now finds itself barred from many a body; caused by the overuse of a medicine. The body is creating immunities to the “cures” of man; the combinations of chemicals and artificial remedies slowly killing the ability to accept help.

It’s not to say science isn’t valuable. It has found cures for cancers and eliminated diseases such as smallpox and pellagra (a niacin deficiency), but it has also addicted people to fast cures. We persist in taking cold medicine when soothing teas and plenty of fluids will work just as well. Aspirin is the same way. Some people have to take more than the recommended dose because they have become immune to its effect. To them it’s simple to just take an aspirin instead of just heeding the body’s need to rest. Not only would people benefit from not having as many chemicals in their bodies but it would also help socially and economically.

Socially, we could learn from the older generations that survived without so many pills. For example from Asia we learn of the pressure points of acupuncture. I know from my Mexican heritage I’ve learned of chamomile tea is good for calming the nerves. Arnica when steeped and applied topically helps reduce inflammation and bruising.

Economically, it would open ventures for the cultivation of natural based remedies. It would create more jobs in the production and in imparting the knowledge of remedies. Research would be done and teachers produced. Though it’s a brilliant age of discovery it does not do a world well when it forgets all the contributions of its forefathers.

With this movement of the home remedy at least we can start to remember at least one part, important to our existence, and that is the value of family and the traditions and home remedies. Maybe then everyone else can rid themselves of the irritation in their throats with the gliding caress of cinnamon milk.