Keep Your Head Up

Taylor - Holton, Kansas
Themes: setbacks

“Better by far you should forget and smile than you should remember and be sad.” A quote I try to stick with everyday. You always hear everyone to look on the bright side and stay positive, but how many people do you really know that think like that? I know people have it way worse than I do, but I still believe in staying positive. I believe that if you have a good attitude and keep your head up, things can turn out better than you think.

When I was about six, my parents went out of town for the week. I was staying with my grandparents like I usually do when they’re gone. It was just a regular night. Watching Snow White, eating “magic bananas”, and playing this lame fish game that was very cool at the time. I don’t remember every detail, but I remember that everything changed in an instant.

My grandma stopped breathing and fell onto the couch. My grandpa tried giving her CPR and told me to call 911. I called them but I didn’t know where they lived. We hopped into the car and followed the ambulance to the hospital. I stayed the night at my parents’ friends’ house. I dreamt of everything being okay, but I woke up to “She didn’t make it.” Sure this is not the most pleasant story, but it could have been worst. Everything can. No matter how bad things seem, they will get better eventually.

A few years later, my grandpa got re-married. I miss my grandma, but thinking back on it now, that tragedy brought my family an angel. My step-grandma had no children and loves us more than I would ever expect. God was definitely looking after us. My grandpa was positive. What would have happened if he were still mourning over my grandmother? There’s always hope no matter how bad it seems.

I believe that you can see everything in a totally new way if you just stay positive. A little change in your attitude can make a huge difference and affect everything else. Here are some things I like to do stay positive. I try to think before I react, I have learned to keep my mouth shut instead of hurting peoples’ feelings; I look on the bright side, and wake up every morning with a good attitude.

Of course everything is not going to go the way I plan, but it doesn’t hurt to make the best of it. I just have a little hope. A little goes a long ways. Next time something has got the best of you, I remember that I can either spend my time being down about it, or I can do something and make the best out of what I have.