Working Hard

Taelor - Holton, Kansas

I have lived with my dad pretty much my whole life. I didn’t have very much. We got by without needs and my father and I were very happy. Things didn’t always work out for me. No kid wants to have to wake up at 5:30 every morning just to go to her daddy’s work and wait until school started. I would always ask my dad why we had to wake up so early and, to that, it was always the same answer. “It’s all for you baby” I would head off to school for the day.

End of the day, I would see my dad waiting for me. I would get in the car and we would head off to his third job of the day. I would have to ride with him until about six or seven. We would go to the grocery store and pick out our meal of the evening and head home. We would get our meal cooked, talk a bit about how our days were, and after all that, I would get ready for bed. Get ready for a whole new day of the same thing.

Seeing my dad every day work three jobs just to make things good for me made me realize that the harder you work, the more you get. My father is the perfect example of that. I believe working hard gets you far and, the farther you get, the easier it is. My dad never gave up and he always gave me everything I could possibly want. There was never anyway that I could be happier. My dad was dedicated to everything.

There are more reasons that I believe this. Somewhere along the way of his three jobs, my dad met the woman I now call my step mom. Another example of working hard. They both now only have one job but they still work extremely hard just to keep ahead of everything. She is the whole reason my life is as good as it happens to be. She treats me as if I am her child. It astounds me that she can work a full day and come home and still be the best mom ever. Lastly, there is my sister, Ashlea. She is nineteen and she is just like my step mom and dad. She works very hard. She makes enough money to buy her things and, every now and then she even buys stuff for the rest of the family. She is just about the most independent person I know.

These people have all inspired me to believe that if you work hard, you get farther in life. Even though they don’t hear it every day, I thank them for giving me this belief. And in the future, I will thank them for giving me the chance to be independent.